Louisville's Legendary Waterfront Hotel
In the early 1800s, the original Galt House was a residence owned by Dr. W.C. Galt. In 1835, a 60-room hotel was opened as the Galt House Hotel across the street from the residence at the northeast corner of First and Main.
Over half of a century later, in 1972, Galt House Hotel was reestablished by developer Al J. Schneider as part of Louisville’s Riverfront Urban Renewal Project. Carpenter by trade, he built the 25 stories high West Tower on the banks of the Ohio River. Galt House Hotel continued to expand with the creation of the East Tower in 1984. Galt House Hotel remains Louisville’s only waterfront hotel™.