How It Works
- The residency for the second Galt Artist in Residence is May 2020 – February 2021, a period of nine (9) months.
- The Artist in Residence will be announced in May 2020. The AIR will be expected to begin studio time in mid-May 2020
- The selected Galt Artist in Residence will be required to spend a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week in the studio or on the Galt House Hotel Campus, 4 days per week.
- The selected Galt Artist in Residence will receive a monthly stipend plus a monthly food and beverage credit.
- The selected Galt Artist in Residence will have full use fo the Galt Artist Studio during their residency. The AIR may make changes to the studio space – paint (with color approval), addition of furniture pieces, etc.
- The Galt Artist in Residence will work with the AJS/Galt team to develop programming for events held at the hotel in addition to the First Friday Hop each month.
- Finalists may choose up to four (4) pieces of their work to be exhibited in the AIR Studio from April – May 2020. Dimensions for these pieces must be shared before installation in order to accommodate the three finalists.
- Finalists are responsible for the installation of their work in the AIR Studio in the area designated for the work. Finalists are also requested to provide informational cards about their pieces.
- Finalists must remove their work from the AIR Studio the first week of May 2020.
Finalists should be present for the April First Friday Hop Reception and during the Derby Exhibition in May.
- Finalist must agree to have their likeness and their work to be used for marketing and public relations outreach including but not limited to: advertising, social media content, and media relations materials without compensation.
- Finalists are required to have an in-person weekday interview with the AIR Selection Committee. Dates for interviews in April 2020 will be supplied to the finalists.
- Download a FILLABLE APPLICATION, download a NON-FILLABLE APPLICATION, or submit an ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Applications for our second Galt Artist in Residence will be accepted from September 30, 2019 – January 13, 2020.
- Applicants must agree to have their likeness and their work to be used for marketing and public relations outreach, including, but not limited to: advertising, social media content, and media relations materials without compensation.
- Applications must be completed in full in order to be accepted.
- Tours of the space may be given upon request. Please contact the Artist in Residence Program at ART@GALTHOTEL.COM.
How To Apply
Deadline for application to the AIR Program
Monday, January 13, 2020
Application packets may be delivered electronically, service, or in person to:
The Galt House Hotel
140 North 4th Street, Louisville, KY 40202
Attention Michelle McCarragher
Upload your application and any pertinent images or videos of your work HERE.
Share any pertinent links to your work with ART@GALTHOTEL.COM.
Supporting Art In Louisville
In 2018, The Galt House Hotel embarked on a new and exciting concept for the hotel and the City of Louisville – an Artist in Residence program. Our first residency not only met but exceed our expectations marrying two areas of the city of Louisville – Art and Hospitality – introducing visitors and guests to the artistry that Louisville has to offer. Guests and visitors are encouraged to visit the studio to meet, interact and watch the resident artist create their works. The studio is located in the main corridor of the hotel.
The 2020 residency application process will began October 14, 2019. Visual artists of all mediums are encouraged to apply for this unique program. It is the hope that while in residence, the artist will find opportunities to use the Galt House as a source of inspiration for the many pieces that they create during their tenure. At the end of the residency, the artist will gift a signature legacy piece of their artwork to the hotel as a piece of their artistic legacy.
The 2019 Artist in Residence
In 2018, the first artist in residence Gibbs Rounsavall, a Louisville-based geometric abstract painter was selected from more than 30 applicants. He was featured as one of 13 artists in Louisville Magazine’s “13 Artists You Need to Know Now” issue. In 2018, he was named the first Artist in Residence at Syndicate Design and had work permanently installed in the new Kentucky International Convention Center. His work has been included in academic presentations on subjects from abstract art to urban climate change. He has appeared in print, radio and online interviews and feature articles.
Rounsavall’s public art mural in the Shelby Park area of Louisville was the focus of a short documentary film and has been used as a backdrop in numerous films and still photography, becoming a destination in Louisville and ranking as one of the most “Instagrammable” spots in the city.
Or Book Online Today!